Wheatgrass is the young grass shoots of the wheat berry. The wheatgrass plant contains high concentrations of chlorophyll, active enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and other nutrients. Wheatgrass is one of the richest sources of vitamin A and vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, sulphur, zinc, cobalt, and protein.
Wheatgrass is considered to be a complete food because it contains every amino acid, vitamin, and mineral (some in only trace amounts) necessary for human nutrition. No complete nutrition analysis of wheatgrass or wheatgrass juice is available in the literature. It is mentioned that 1 ounce of fresh wheatgrass juice is equivalent to 2.5 pounds of vegetables in nutritional value. 1 ounce of wheatgrass has more vitamin C than 1 ounce of oranges. 1 ounce of wheatgrass has twice the vitamin A than in 1 ounce of carrots. It is said that 25ml of wheatgrass is equivalent in vitamins, minerals and amino acids to a kilogram of fresh garden vegetables in nutritional value.
Benefits of Wheatgrass and Wheatgrass juice
Wheatgrass juice is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream and gives immediate energy. The following advantages show that juicing wheatgrass is very beneficial.
- Wheatgrass energizes and reduces fatigue.
- It is a appetite suppressant.
- Wheatgrass juice improves metabolism.
- It improves digestion.
- Wheatgrass juice enriches the blood, removes blood disorders, & lowers blood pressure
- Wheatgrass juice is antibacterial and helps cleanse the liver
- It prevents tooth decay
- It is good for skin problems and improves complexion, treats acne, and removes acne scars.
- Wheatgrass juice keeps hair from graying & removes dandruff.
- It boosts the immune system, calms the nervous system and promotes regularity & helps fight constipation.
The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass will wash drug deposits from the body, neutralize toxins in the body, help purify the liver, and prevent ageing. The chlorophyll also stabilises blood sugar levels.