Boost your immune system- The Natural way
The health of a person depends on, to a great deal, upon the efficiency of his body’s immune system. The stronger your immune system, the lower your susceptibility to diseases, and vice versa! In short, it is very necessary for an individual to maintain a strong immune system; otherwise, he has all the chances of catching the mildest of infections. So, if you want to make sure that your body has the ability to fight off any threat, start taking steps that will help improve your immune system.
Below are some of my favorite recommendations for boosting your immune system.
Make sure to include these foods in your daily meals intake.
- Green leafy vegetables, whole grains, beans, fruit, and roots help in making the immune system stronger.
- Food items like apples, oranges, broccoli, cantaloupe, brown rice and olive oil make the immune system stronger.
- Include fish and poultry in your everyday diet, as they have been found to be beneficial for the immune system.
- Sweets and high-fat food items are a big no-no. Having them occasionally is ok, but don’t make it a habit to have desserts on a daily basis.
- Do not consume too much dairy products. Even red meat and eggs should be taken in moderation.
- Garlic is very good for the immune system of the body. You can take it either raw or in cooked form.
- Herbal teas, like green tea and black tea, boost the immune system, since they contain antioxidants, bioflavonoids, tannins and indoles.
- Reduce your consumption of processed and packaged foods as much as possible. Instead, try to stick to fresh foods and vegetables.
Some more tips for you:
- Try to avoid the food items that contain polyunsaturated vegetable oils.
- Stick to organic food as much as possible.
- Apart from having a healthy diet, it is very necessary for you to maintain the shape of your body too. Make sure to exercise on a regular basis. You can walk or jog, for at least 30 minutes, 4 times a week.
- For having a healthy body, it is essential to have a healthy and peaceful mind. Try to do meditation, at least thrice a week.
- Proper and sound sleep is very necessary for a healthy immune system. Make sure to have at least 6-8 hours of sleep every day.
- ‘Laughter is the best medicine’. This adage holds true in a case of immune system too. Try to be happy and laugh as much as you can.
Immune Booster Morning Smoothie Recipe for you:
Strawberries: A great source of vitamin C; one cup contains about 85 mg of vitamin C, along with anti-inflammatory compounds like anthocyanin that are also key for immune health and overall health
Kale: Dark green leafy vegetables are also a good source of vitamin C as well as vitamin A that also plays a key role in immune health
Honey: Honey contains antiviral and antibacterial properties to help fight illness and also helps the body to produce white blood cells that can fight infection in our bodies
Lemon: Also a rich source of vitamin C and may also naturally help to reduce mucous production
Mint: Mint also contains a source of anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties and can also help to soothe muscle aches and pains that can come with sickness too
- 1 cup (250 ml) almond milk
- 8-10 strawberries, tops removed
- 2 kale leaves
- 1-2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 2-3 ice cubes
Wash all produce well. Remove tops from strawberries and stems from kale leaves (save the stems for juicing).
Add ingredients to the blender and blend on high for 45-60 seconds until smooth.
Want us to assess your meal plan?
Give Manali a call at 613-276-3996 and book an appointment for a free 30 minutes Lifestyle Assessment consult.
Manali Haridas, a Spiritual Wellness Coach of Zen for You, is a Certified Nutritionist (Sports, Clinical, Holistic) ,a Trainer and a Certified Yoga & Reiki Teacher with more than 25 years experience in the field of Clinical, Sports and Holistic Nutrition and Fitness.