You know if you could get a consistent good night’s sleep, everything would be better.
Your mood, your energy, your focus, and your productivity. With better sleep and balanced hormones, you would be able to do more of what you love and have been meaning to do – you’re just too tired to get started. I know what it’s like to feel frustrated in the vicious cycle of exhaustion and sleeplessness – I’ve been there too.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are oils derived from plants, usually by crushing and steam distilling parts of the plant. A variety of essential oils have been used as medical treatments since ancient times. Aromatherapy involves inhaling essential oil scents or vapor in hopes of obtaining positive health effects. Research demonstrates that because smell affects sleep, incorporating certain essential oils into your bedtime routine may help people sleep better. Using essential oils (Aromatherapy) is a good medium to help the body relax and catch a goodnight’s sleep. This essential oil mixture works like a natural sleeping aid which helps the body relax and destress after a long day of toiling. It contains natural oils which soothe the nerves and release tension. While lavender adds a beautiful fragrance along with rose water, chamomile is often referred to as a mild “tranquilizer” or sleep-inducing agent.
Since, a messed-up sleep cycle is a problem that needs immediate attention, here is an easy spritzing solution you can make at home to get better sleep every day.
All you need is three simple ingredients:
-A spray bottle to store this
Ingredients healing benefits:
- Chamomile has been found to contain strong notes of antioxidants in it, ‘apigenin’ which helps calm the body. It directly binds to the receptors in the brain which are associated with anxiety and hence, induces sleep. People who struggle to sleep or have chronic anxiety are often recommended to drink chamomile tea to let go of stress and unwind. Chamomile can also improve your sleep quality if taken in a moderate quantity on a regular basis.
- Lavender: It has been widely hailed for its destressing benefits. Branches of aromatherapy suggest using lavender flowers (petals) or natural oils in any environment to promote better sleep, relieve anxiety, and overall wellness.
- Bergamot: Bergamot is a fragrant herb native to North America, often grown to attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies. When bergamot essential oil is experienced as aromatherapy, it may lower blood pressure and improve mental health13. These calming properties might be why bergamot is thought to improve sleep.
How to prepare:
- To start with, take a handy bottle and start adding essential oils, one by one (15-20 of lavender oil, 10 drops of chamomile oil, and 10 drops of bergamot oil ) into the bottle. You can also use a paper funnel to easily transfer the same. After that, pour distilled water and rose water into the bottle in equal quantities.
- Once done, mix it well. Using distilled water will ensure that there are no impurities. It also helps prolong the life of your essential oil diffuser.
- Close the nozzle well and keep it near your bedside. Spritz this oil diffusing spray on your pillow or on the crevices of your bed before you go to sleep. One can also spray this natural perfume on the clothes for relaxation.
- You can also add more drops of essential oils into the mixture if you need a more potent solution. Make sure to store in a cool place. Do not spritz this onto a pillow, bedsheet or fabric which is already wet or damp.Enjoy your sleep!