With the change in weather and the focus on building our immunity considering the current global situation we are in, try my favourite top 7 home remedies listed below. These will help you fight symptoms and make your immune and respiratory systems much stronger.
1. Steam: If you are suffering from cold and have trouble breathing, try to take steam. Take steam in the washroom with hot water running in the tub or simply heat water in a wide bowl and inhale the hot fumes for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Adding eucalyptus oil can also help soothe your respiratory system.
2. Honey: Known for its soothing effect, take 1 tablespoon of honey and add a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of ginger powder to it. Mix it well and eat/lick it slowly. After consuming this mixture have a glass of warm water.
3. Carom Seeds: Boiling water along with carom seeds (ajwain) and tulsi leaves can help to keep the cough in check. It also helps in relieving chest congestion.
4. Self Massage: Massaging yourself on your chest and throat with a mix of warm coconut and mint oil will help you for your congestion. Also mixing mustard oil with garlic and massage your chest, back and neck area. Then have a hot shower or bath.
5. Keep hydrated: When you are going through a bout of sneezing and coughing, it is very important to keep yourself hydrated. Drinking water at regular intervals will help fight the common cold and reduce the inflammation in the throat along with washing out the infection. Other fluids in form of warm soup or a fresh juice are also beneficial for replenishing the body’s lost energy.
6. Salt gargling: A glass of hot water with a teaspoon of salt can be useful to ease a sore throat. Gargle with salt-water atleast twice a day. The saline water helps soothe the pain.
7. Turmeric milk: Due to its antiseptic properties, turmeric is known to treat viral infections such as cough and cold. Add a pinch of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk (cow’s, soya or almond) and have it 15 minutes before sleeping. It provides instant relief for an aching throat and runny nose.