You know that feeling you get, in the pit of your stomach, feels like butterflies mixed with nausea? It’s called anxiety. I have been living with anxiety for a long time now and it’s been an uphill battle. I tried deep breathing, meditation, yoga, relaxing, crying and nothing seems to work at the time–at least not for me. Until I realized that my anxiety was not just plain anxiety, it was my intuition letting me know that something was not right.
Learning to listen to your own intuition sounds really odd and out of the norm, but once you allow yourself to listen, you will find that opening your mind to the possibilities of things that you normally would not have thought possible, is not that bad.
Here are 5 tips to learning to listen to your own intuition:
1. If you have a feeling that something is wrong, then 98% of the time there is something wrong. You can either do something about it or pray about it. The choice is yours.
2. When you are in a negative situation, and you do not know what to do, take a deep breath, close your eyes and count to 5. You know what’s best for you just listen to your gut, it will not lead you down the wrong path. What helps me is listening to Kirtan, which is the singing of praise as expressed in the Hymns compositions of Sikh scripture.
3. Trust yourself. We often instill trust in those we love, but we fail to trust ourselves. Trust is one of the most valued things in life, as long as you trust yourself to make a decision. Our loved ones want what’s best for us, but only you know what’s truly best for you.
4. Learning to let go of the things you can not control. If you let go of what you can not change, you are allowing your body, mind and soul to move forward towards a healthier future.
5. Looking for signs is the universe’s way of letting your intuition speak to you. I truly believe that there are certain things that happen in life to guide us in the right direction. It’s a way for our subconscious to communicate the wants and needs of our heart, whether it’s a dream, a déjà vu moment or a moment that you can’t explain. A sign is there for a reason, so use you intuition to find that reason.
Once you begin to listen to your intuition, you will start to see doors opening that you never sought before. Out of my own personal experience I can say I am in a place I never thought I would be. I never saw myself writing for a magazine or being as open as I am today. Every moment in my life has led me to the person I am today.
Learning to listen to my intuition has taught me that it’s OK to say no, and it’s OK to not be perfect in a society that is known to be perfect. I am perfectly happy with being flawed. I am happy with who I am and with the mistakes I have made, because without them, I would not be as successful as I am.