Willpower. Self-control. Self discipline. These are many names that all mean the same thing: having the mental strength and attitude to consciously do the things you know you must do; even when you don’t emotionally want to.
Higher willpower is associated with being happier, scoring higher on standardized tests and earning more money. Willpower is also highly correlated with accomplishing personal goals.
What you may not know however, is that willpower is a resource that you can call upon – and at the same time, it is also a skill that you can improve.
I will show you the key steps to help improve your own personal self discipline today:
#1: Remove Temptation
Willpower is a limited resource – so don’t waste it. Everytime you need to tell yourself “no” to a temptation in front of you, you slowly deplete your willpower – and it takes time to replenish. So whenever possible: remove the temptations from your life.
For example, if you know that you watch too much TV, and need to focus on a project for the next month – cancel your cable, or physically unplug your TV from the wall. As a personal example, I know I’ll eat junk food if it is in the house – so I never keep any in my home.
#2: Stabilize Blood Sugar
Low blood sugar is associated with diminished self discipline. Avoid eating sugary foods such as candy or high sugar drinks. Of course, it’s a bit of a catch 22 – it takes self discipline to avoid eating tasty, sugary foods to begin with!
Make sure you get enough of it. Research has shown that the ability to maintain focus on tasks suffers due to lack of sleep.
#4: Enjoy Life
Positive emotional experiences replenish your self discipline reserve. So throughout the day – take a few moments to enjoy your life
I love to take breaks, listen to music,stretch and do other activities that inspire me – find what works for you.
#5: Avoid and Reduce Stress
Stress has shown to deplete self-discipline. Reducing commitments, breathing exercises and yoga has personally helped me reduce stress in my life.
#6: Have a Plan
Research shows that when your willpower starts getting depleted, having a plan and a goal you are chasing can help mitigate the effects of lowered willpower.Feel free to meet me at my studio for creating an action plan that best works for you in your areas of wellness and spiritual discipline.
Similar to positive emotional experiences, self-affirmations have been shown to help replenish depleted willpower.My favorite at the moment is value your time.
#8: Strengthen Your Willpower
Self-discipline is a muscle – focus on small tasks that you can control, and your ability to stick to larger tasks will slowly increase. Some examples of exercise include straightening your posture and using your non-dominant hand for tasks.
Some more exercises that might might help you for developing your self discipline & will power are:
- Meditate at-least for 15 minutes a day.
- Do Yoga regularly.
- Try a Reiki Chakra Balancing session/ Learn Reiki.
- If you’re sitting in a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in, Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated. Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind and feelings.
- There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later. Get up and wash them now. Do not let your laziness overcome you. When you know that in this way you are developing your will power, and if you are convinced of the importance of will power in your life, it will be easier for you to do whatever you have to do.
- Sometimes, when you want to say something that is not important, decide not to say it.
- You come home tired from work and sit in front of the T.V., because you feel too lazy and too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of the T.V, and go and take a shower.
- You have a desire to eat something not too healthy. Refuse the desire.
- Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.
- If you find yourself thinking unimportant, unnecessary, negative thoughts, try to develop lack of interest in them by persuading yourself of their futility.
- Don’t read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper, even if you want to.
Become Stronger Today
You don’t want to live a life where you are disappointed you couldn’t stick to what you wanted to do – you need to be the type of person who can set their mind to something and make it happen. If you are struggling, deserve more from your life, or are just passing through life unmotivated then you need to take action to change that. I will guide you with the techniques I have used in my own life to take action and get what I want.
Email me at [email protected] to schedule an appointment… and it might just be the turning point you need in your life… today!